The ABC Gallery has been operating since 1992. This thirty years worth of experience has led us to believe that art gallery – apart from exhibiting and promoting art – can and should serve as the place where artists, critics, theoreticians, philosophers of art and representatives of other fields of study exchange thoughts, ideas, and experiences in a creative and constructive manner. Various workshops, plein air events and residencies organised by the Gallery provide common ground for shaping new ideas and realising artistic visions through discussion and cooperation.
By means of organising workshops, we desire to make our gallery accessible, open, and friendly for visitors, unlike the stereotypical White Cube ingrained in the conventional way of thinking about the functioning of art. To accomplish this, we have created a new space for imaginative people and cultivated an environment that fosters artistic growth.
The new location of the ABC Gallery is in the outskirts of Poznań, near scenic Strzeszyńskie Lake (for more information and the map see KONTAKT and STRZESZYNEK). This picturesque area is located a mere 9 kilometres away from the centre of Poznań, and it takes about 30 minutes to get there by public transportation. The gallery offers opportunities to engage in creative activities both indoors and outdoors. Strzeszynek is a perfect location for plein air painting. The ABC Gallery has an exhibition room, which may also function as a studio. Furthermore, the common room located in the Motel is an ideal place for workshops, trainings and meetings with artists and authors.
– ARTISTS AND ART SCHOOLS can participate in plein air workshops with professional artists (see the SUMMER JAM tab) or organise their own workshops of any kind. The gallery also offers residency opportunities and holds conferences, symposia and discussion groups. At the end of a residency or a workshop series, an exhibition can be staged either at the ABC Gallery or at a different exhibition venue in Poznań.
– THOSE WHO HAVE RECENTLY TAKEN UP ART AS A HOBBY as well as those wishing to continue developing their passion can take part in various stimulating workshops (plein air and others) supervised by established artists, including those affiliated with the University of Arts in Poznań.
The workshops offered by the ABC Gallery are not only fun but they also provide an opportunity for skill and personal development. The classes are not merely about painting, sculpting or writing – they will help you discover yourself anew, explore new spaces and possibilities, and broaden your horizons. Being able to overcome your inner barriers, open up for new experiences and derive real joy from your achievements will give you an exceptionally energising and liberating feeling.
During the workshops, you will get to know other people who are just like you: interested in similar things, curious about the world and eager to spend their free time in a creative and self-improving way.
FOR ART SCHOOLS AND ACADEMIES
The ABC Gallery offers attractive prices and excellent conditions for the University of Arts and other art schools seeking to organise outdoor classes for students or amateur groups. The new location of the gallery is perfect for focusing on your creative work and relaxing. The gallery is situated amidst beautiful surroundings in the outskirts of Poznań, right next to Strzeszyńskie Lake (see Strzeszynek and CONTACT tabs).
Yet, there is much more to the Strzeszynek Resort than its beautiful surroundings – the nearby forest, clear lake and meadows. With its lifeguarded beach, a water equipment rental facility, beach volleyball and basketball courts and bike paths, the Resort offers a wide range of sport and recreational activities. Since the gallery is close to the city centre (less than 10 kilometres from the Old Market Square), you can relish the beauty of nature by taking part in outdoor workshops and enjoy every activity the city of Poznań has to offer. Travelling to the city centre by public transportation takes around 30 minutes (see the map).
Strzeszynek is an excellent area for all kinds of outdoor artistic activities, such as painting, photography, video art, sculpting, land art and installations. The ABC Gallery has an exhibition hall which can also serve as a working space for artists. In addition, the common room is located in the Motel where workshops, conferences, training courses and other meetings take place.
Catering: breakfasts and lunches/dinners for the participants of plein air and other workshops at the ABC Gallery are served in the Oaza Restaurant (www.strzeszynek.pl).
Also, there are a few small catering outlets in the immediate vicinity of the gallery.
PLEASE NOTE: it is possible to provide full board during residential stays as well as plein air and ArtStudio workshops. Prices for the organisers of plein air workshops are negotiated individually.
Accommodations: Participants from outside of Poznań wishing to join plein air or other workshops can find accommodation at the Strzeszynek Motel nearby the ABC Gallery. The Motel has en suite double rooms for 32 guests, with each room boasting a large terrace overlooking the lake.
Accommodation prices for the organisers of plein air workshops are negotiated individually depending on the size of the group and the length of stay.
Date: every Thursday between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m.
PLEASE NOTE: it is possible to join us at any time. Each workshop participant is tutored individually, so there is no need to worry about falling behind if you cannot take part in the workshops from the beginning.
Katarzyna Jankowiak-Gumna, a graduate of Poznań Academy of Fine Arts and the manager of the ABC Gallery since 1992.
Consultations: Prof. Andrzej Leśnik, Poznań Academy of Fine Arts (University of Arts) in Poznań.
PAINTING WORKSHOPS ARE PERFECT FOR YOU IF:
- you have some spare time that you want to spend in an interesting place, engaging in pleasant, creative and developing activities among like-minded people;
- you independently engage in artistic pursuits but want to hone your drawing and painting skills or get professional advice and learn from the best;
- you are interested in art and willing to start painting but haven’t yet tried out your creative abilities in the visual arts.
THE WORKSHOP PROGRAMME
The workshop programme includes an introduction to basic techniques (watercolour, gouache, tempera, acrylic, oil and pastel) as well as key concepts in art (composition, perspective, scale, colour, gamut, colour value). Each of the techniques and concepts will be assigned a suitable theme (examples are shown in the photo gallery below).
Every workshop participant will be approached individually, according to their preferences and with respect to their artistic skills. The number of seats is limited – we work in a small group of up to 12 people.
Apart from the introduction, on-going cooperation and corrections, the supervisor will suggest additional reading materials related to the workshops (history of painting, exhibition catalogues, albums, etc.).
A coffee break during each class is another opportunity to socialise and chat with other participants. Coffee/tea and pie are included in the price.
THE RULES OF THE GAME – workshop rules, participation fees, registration and other important information:
1. Additional information and registration:
The ABC Gallery, Koszalińska 15 (located at the Strzeszynek Resort)
You can also contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us at +48 605 446 182.
2. Dates and hours:
We meet every Thursday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
3. Participation fees:
The cost of participating in the ABC Gallery workshops is PLN 150 (1 meeting) and PLN 400 per month (4 meetings).
The price includes:
- practical and theoretical supervision and guidance of a professional instructor;
- all necessary painting supplies such as easels, boards, palettes, spatulas, brushes;
- all materials including paints (acrylic, gouache, tempera, watercolour) and pastels, media (turpentine, oil, thinners and acrylic retarders), and surfaces (raw and primed cardboards, cardboard paper, construction paper, paper for pastels and for watercolours);
- coffee/tea and homemade pie.
4. Payment options and deadlines:
The participants can pay in cash or by credit card at the ABC Gallery, for 1 month (4 meetings) in advance.
THE ART STUDIO WINTER WORKSHOPS
Time: five days (Monday to Friday) during winter holidays, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The exact dates will be posted in January in the NEWS tab.
Participants: these workshops are dedicated to adults and teenagers over 12 years of age (held at two different dates).
Instructor: Katarzyna Jankowiak-Gumna, a graduate of the University of Arts in Poznań, the manager of the ABC Gallery since 1992.
Consultations: Prof. Andrzej Leśnik, the University of Arts in Poznań.
THE ART STUDIO WINTER WORKSHOPS ARE FOR YOU IF:
- You have some free time and want to spend it doing something enjoyable, creative and educational in an interesting place, together with people who have similar interests and passions;
- You already practise art on your own but you want to develop and improve your drawing and painting skills as well as take advice from professional artists and listen to their suggestions;
- You are interested in art but have yet to discover your creative abilities in the visual arts and want to take up painting.
- The Art Studio programme includes an introduction to the basic techniques (tempera, pastel, acrylic paint) and some key concepts in art (composition, perspective, scale, colour gamut). An adequate theme/motif is chosen for each technique and concept (see the examples in the photo gallery below).
- The participants are supervised individually; their personal preferences and talents are taken into account and respected. The number of participants is limited (the group will consist of up to 12 people).
- Apart from the introduction, on-going cooperation and corrections, the supervisor will suggest additional reading materials related to the workshops (history of painting, exhibition catalogues, albums, etc.).
- There is a lunch break during every class. Meals will be provided by the Oaza Restaurant.
THE RULES OF THE GAME – workshop rules, prices, enrollment and other important information:
1. Additional information and enrollment:
The ABC Gallery, Koszalińska 15 (on the premises of the Strzeszynek Resort). You can also contact us via email: email@example.com or by calling us at + 48 605 446 182.
2. Date and time:
Five days (Monday to Friday) during winter holidays, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The exact dates will be announced in January in the NEWS tab.
The prices of the winter workshops can be found in the NEWS tab a month before the classes start.
The price includes:
- practical and theoretical supervision and guidance of a professional instructor
- the essential painting supplies: easels, boards, palettes, spatulas, paintbrushes
- all materials: paints (acrylic, tempera, watercolour) and pastels, media (turpentine, oil, acrylic retarders, etc.), surfaces (raw and primed cardboards, corrugated cardboards, bristol boards, pastel papers and watercolour papers)
- a warm two-course lunch (soup and a main dish) prepared by the cooks from the Oaza Restaurant
The payment can be made in person at the ABC Gallery in cash or by credit card, no later than a week before the Art Studio starts. By making the payment, the participants book a place at our workshops.
PLEIN AIR EVENTS
Every summer, the ABC Gallery organises several plein air events aimed at different groups of participants. The Outdoor Symposium of Authors and Theoreticians SUMMER JAM (Plenerowe Sympozjum Twórców i Teoretyków SUMMER JAM) is an integral part of the gallery’s programme. The gallery also offers plein air events and workshops for art schools, centres and organisations, as well as for amateur groups. Most of them take place at the Strzeszynek Resort, superbly located at Lake Strzeszyńskie in the outskirts of Poznań. The resort offers accommodation, recreational activities, and catering (go to links –> Strzeszynek). We organise summer field trips during which the participants of the ABC Gallery’s painting workshops work on their plein air painting techniques.